Friday 14 May 2010

Comment: First day of the Coalition

And look, the world hasn't ended.

I don't care that Labour and Lib Dems couldn't do a deal. It still wasn't the government I'd hope for (though I'd welcome the electoral reform). Whatever party was going to come into power, the key issues for me were going to change, and not for the better.
The ConDem coaltion (go on Cameron, keep trying to brand it the Liberal Conservative govt) just means that it's going to go at that much faster pace.
Hospitals and NHS services are going to change, they were always going to no matter who got in from the main parties. Private contractors are delivering services now and will continue to do so. Academies, creating more divisive competition in the education sector will move at a faster pace now. I'm not even going to consider right now the cuts to adult education that will see the work I do take a further back seat.

I'm not overly obsessed with how long the coalition's going to last. It will last for as long as it will last. The fact that we're not really questioning the legitimacy of the similar policies is more of an issue for me.